Skip to main content

Exciting Life Updates

I know I haven’t been updating this blog because I’m too lazy. Years 2 and 3 have been an exciting flurry of business (both work and busy-ness). I constantly spew bite-sized thoughts that stream into my mind on Instagram Stories anyway, and I am remarkably easily bored and excitable, so longer, more considered pieces on Blogger aren’t sustainable. I digress. Many exciting life updates! I’m now officially done with my undergraduate PPE programme at King’s College London. I loved every bit of it: the depth, rigour and intellectual intensity of the course, the international student community, the bustling city of London and all the travel opportunities around Europe. Words can’t do justice to the profundity of the experience. In typical Quincean fashion, I milked everything I could out of the three years: went to Cumberland Lodge (for free) as a photographer with the Philosophy Department in Years 1 and 3, clinched the Principal’s Global Leadership Award (PGLA) in my second year (spending

October 2020

I can’t believe it has been more than half a year since I last wrote something. I guess it’s just one of the consequences of getting posted to a staff vocation: sitting in the office all day mindlessly switching between Outlook and Excel over and over again, sucking up all energy and motivation to do my personal stuff. Even on the weekends, I just feel like recharging.

As this year’s JC2s graduated last week, they flooded my Instagram feed with so many posts. I thought of my own graduation, and how two eventful years flew by. Yes, I miss the physical school. But that isn’t all. During lunch on 6 October, I went to the National Library. As I walked down Purvis Street and the sun shone mightily, I felt this scholarly academic feeling: so many research questions on my mind, the smallness of humanity trying to grapple with the universe. The pursuit of knowledge is inherently child-like, full of wonder and curiosity. Suddenly, I felt at home, despite not being in Hwa Chong. Damn, I really miss school. I kept thinking if I had peaked in school. On paper, I didn’t. But now I realise a large part of me died when I received my teddy bear from Mr Perry on Thursday, 11 October 2018.


To be honest, that part of me was meant to die once the time had come. But I had intended to clone a copy of it and carry on from there. I guess this is where a bit of Sec 3 Lit comes in handy:

But Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
          Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
          For promis’d joy!

Still, thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e’e,
          On prospects drear!
An’ forward tho’ I canna see,
          I guess an’ fear!

I remember the time we (17A15 and other HP peeps from 17A14) sent Wanlin off last year to the UK. We took turns exchanging hugs and wishes, and when it became my turn, she hugged me and thought for a while before saying, “see you in Oxford.” I applied to Oxford two years ago. I made it to the interview, but I got rejected afterwards due to subpar TSA and interview results. Of course, I can only do so much, but at least the only way is up. There is something liberating about being at the bottom. It’s just like my ‘U’ for H2 Economics Block Test 2 in July 2018. The helplessness, anguish and desperation seared scars in my memory. I walked around College Block B confused, searching for tears but finding none. There was only one thing in my control — getting back to work asap — and that’s what I did. It was a learning experience for me, but I don’t wish it upon anybody else.

On 11 October, I met Valerie (17A14) at SMU for a photo shoot. She wanted a portrait of herself and I agreed to be the photographer. Of course, it would be a waste if we just met up to complete the task of the day, so we had a nice chat over coffee at a campus café called Onalu first. I had a cappuccino — very fruity and quite cheap at $4.50 — while she had an iced green tea kombucha.

We talked about what we were both up to. As a business student, she’s really involved in start-ups. With less than four months left until I ORD, I was excited but apprehensive about my future. At the end of JC2, I had a bucketload of dreams and ambitions, but over the years some dripped through the cracks and now my bucket is half-full. I have treated NS exactly like how I described it last year: a colourful aberration, but an aberration nonetheless. I pressed the pause button on my life for two years. And now, as I am about to press play again, the world has changed. I used a mathematical metaphor to describe this subtle frustration. I don’t mind change; I think I am quite adaptive. But I would very much prefer it to be continuous. This feels like a jump discontinuity; I am a somersaulting Mario.

Adding to this sentiment, Valerie pointed out that we are now leading different lives, struggling with our own unique challenges. We may give one another advice, but its helpfulness will be limited. It’s not like sharing Literature notes anymore, where we worked towards the same A-Level exam together. We now have our own tests to take. All we can do is encourage and commiserate. (How lonely is it if we can only do so much!) Yeah sure, we will meet new people along the way whose pathways align with our own and become comrades in similar strife. But these were the people I grew up with, and time and life have yanked them out of my arms.

On 16 October, I joined Alicia, Xuan Jin and Ian for drinks at Hopstation. Their Happy Hour was not bad, but it ended early at 7 pm. It was the most fun and candid conversation I’ve head in months. Alicia wrote, “I can’t believe Chinese Hamlet brought us together and now we just shit talk men.” Very pithy; very Alicia indeed.

On 24 October, I caught up with Zi Ming, who is now an NUS PPE + USP freshman living at Cinnamon College. After dinner at the Clementi Mall Kaffe & Toast, we milled about the mall talking about university and how modules were taught at NUS I bought a bottle of cheap Chilean Merlot from the Fairprice downstairs, and then we left for UTown on the 96. At UTown, I bumped into 5 other Hwa Chongians, all seniors from some form of student council: Edmund Loh (42HSC), Gary Lim (iCouncil 2013), Goh Hong Pei (iCouncil), Choo Yi Jun (College Students Council) and Stephen Yeo Toh Cheng (Ortus Council). Crazy, right?

岁月的路口
走散人和梦
只有校园钟声依旧

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis of "This I Fear Most" by Ng Yi-Sheng

When I first found this gem of a poem in "A Book of Hims", I knew it would be my favourite for a long time. The poem is so sweet, it's ridiculous. If Ed Sheeran's "Perfect" was a sonnet, this would be it. This I Fear Most Ng Yi-Sheng That I am not a light to guide you home, No shining beacon and no candle flame. That I am but a ragged burden thrown Against the bony shoulders of your frame, And every path you tread into the night I do encumber. That I do mistake That sunny grin for spirit and delight, Though it is worn to better bear the ache. This I fear most. So I command you: should You tire of me, strip me from your back And burn me like a hecatomb of wood. With raging heat, the heavens I’ll attack Until the dark dissolves away like foam. Then step ahead. My light shall guide you home. Analysis "This I Fear Most" by Ng Yi-Sheng is a Shakespearean sonnet about the selfless nature of love and the re

H2 Knowledge and Inquiry (KI): Should You Take It?

Choosing your A Level subject combination can be quite a nerve-racking experience, especially if you don't have any strong interest in particular subjects. The stakes are high too: it's the A Levels, the culmination of 12 years of formal education. No one wants to screw up and pick the wrong combination that will lead to 2 years of extra suffering. I faced the same problem after I graduated from the High School section. Physics, Math, Literature and KI was the combination of my dreams, but it wasn't a standard combination the College section offered. I made a compromise and chose the closest combination on the standard list: KI, Literature, Math and Economics (KILME). When I tell people I take KILME, they usually respond with confusion or shock. "Harh, simi combi is that?" "You take KI?!?!?!" These reactions are basically caused by the mystery that is KI. It's a phantom subject: one that has no textbook, no published notes,

Hume on Reason and the Passions — A Reply to Zizai

The Awkward Yeti on Facebook I thank  Cui Zizai  — my old friend, former classmate, collaborator and interlocutor — for this opportunity to revisit Hume. Zizai sent me an email (one of his periodic circulars on mathematics, politics and philosophy) regarding his take on Hume, in particular the infamous line “reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions” in Hume’s  A Treatise of Human Nature (“ Treatise ”). Sent 1:28 am, 26 December 2020 (UTC+08:00) Zizai has two concerns which I shall attempt to address: Is the bipartite claim “reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions” is–ought fallacious? Does Hume offer an argument for his “ought” claim? How can it be justified? Is the bipartite claim “reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions” is–ought fallacious? Let us refer to Hume’s introduction of the is–ought problem ( Treatise  3.1.1.27 ): I cannot forbear adding to these reasonings an observation, which may, perhaps, be found of some importance.