Skip to main content

Exciting Life Updates

I know I haven’t been updating this blog because I’m too lazy. Years 2 and 3 have been an exciting flurry of business (both work and busy-ness). I constantly spew bite-sized thoughts that stream into my mind on Instagram Stories anyway, and I am remarkably easily bored and excitable, so longer, more considered pieces on Blogger aren’t sustainable. I digress. Many exciting life updates! I’m now officially done with my undergraduate PPE programme at King’s College London. I loved every bit of it: the depth, rigour and intellectual intensity of the course, the international student community, the bustling city of London and all the travel opportunities around Europe. Words can’t do justice to the profundity of the experience. In typical Quincean fashion, I milked everything I could out of the three years: went to Cumberland Lodge (for free) as a photographer with the Philosophy Department in Years 1 and 3, clinched the Principal’s Global Leadership Award (PGLA) in my second year (spending

Lessons from the Singapore Writers Festival 2019


I’m not a writer. I’m not in the Singapore literary scene. Well, I studied English Literature in secondary school and junior college but that’s about it. My primary creative outlet is photography, specifically documentary photography. Yet, I make a point to attend the Singapore Writers Festival (SWF) year after year.

And it’s not just me. Hundreds of people show up — students in school T-shirts, old people, families — people who also aren’t in the literary scene.

Why is this so? Is it because the written word is more universal than photographs? But we see as much as, if not more than, we read or speak. Certainly, the medium itself cannot account for this observation. As I participated in SWF, I kept thinking about why it seemed more “democratic” than the photographic equivalent – the Singapore International Photography Festival (SIPF).

The best art festivals have something in store for everyone. All genres, price points and levels of expertise, from the critics and connoisseurs to the uncles and aunties who don’t know what a sonnet is.

SWF does this remarkably well. On the first floor of the main event building, comic books and non-fiction titles are on display at the Festival Bookstore, almost as a reminder that this isn’t the Singapore Literature Festival but the Singapore Writers Festival. Upstairs, dialogues with acclaimed local and international authors such as Alvin Pang, Haresh Sharma, Min Jin Lee and Marlon James take place. There are also Mandarin, Malay and Tamil events on a variety of topics ranging from dialects, identity and migration to technology and the future. Outside, there’s an open area called the POP Stage where anyone can just plonk themselves on a bean bag and enjoy storytelling, dance or the latest indie rock performed by local musicians. Hungry? There are even chartered food trucks parked on the lawn's edge. The SWF stays true to its literary mission, but also offers so many fringe activities that anyone – even the illiterate – can find something relatable and interesting. I myself attended a panel discussion titled “The Plausibility of Passion” (pictured above) about how the panelists balance their day jobs with their creative projects. Although the panelists were all writers, this was a discussion any budding artist would want to attend because the insights were so universal. I really loved how I could walk out of a talk on the practical aspects of writing and into a debate on larger themes that affect literature and society such as feminism, gender, race, sexuality, body shaming and apartheid.

“Writing as Author-Journalists” featuring (right to left) Ashwini Devare, Akshita Nanda, Yeoh Jo-Ann and moderator Kristina Marie Tom.

“Festival Gala: Language and The Body” featuring (left to right) Joel Tan, Kagiso Lesego Molope, Roxane Gay and moderator Carolyn Camoens.

The Festival Bookstore, which stocks all kinds of books, not just fiction.

In contrast, SIPF is ostensibly insular. The Festival exclusively prioritises fine art, street and documentary. Where are the wildlife, landscape and food photographers? Where are the students who want to share their projects? Where are the Ah Peks, Ah Mms? Where are the content creators, graphic designers and admen? Where are the local Instagram influencers? The last edition of SIPF in 2018 featured 41 photographers, of whom 6 were Singaporean. And among the 6, only 3 shot their projects in Singapore. This is dismal and miserably impotent as far as attracting the local crowd is concerned. If it’s just going to be a bunch of foreigners swirling their wine glasses and talking about “studium” and “punctum”, I’m out. Nothing wrong about that, but you can sell a VIP Pass for people into that kind of highbrow stuff.

Besides, the SWF Festival Pass costs $25 while SIPF’s costs double. $50 is way above what the average Singaporean would pay for an arts event (which is probably around $20). Of course SIPF needs to break even, but even their price discrimination isn’t appealing: students pay $300 for 10 Festival Passes in bulk. That’s $30 per student! Who’s going to find nine other schoolmates interested enough to get onboard? The bulk purchase only makes sense for fine art classes or an entire photography CCA, and even that is unlikely.

Frequency is also an important factor. SWF is annual, SIPF is biennial. Is this due to a lack of funding? Or is it because SIPF is organised by DECK — an independent art space — and not the National Arts Council, so organising such a huge event requires much more effort without the economies of scale that government institutions have?

Anyway, I have enjoyed every bit of SWF — from the comical to the satirical, the historical to the confessional — and just wonder why Singapore doesn’t have a Photoville of sorts.

Up next on my calendar, the Singapore International Film Festival (SGIFF) which opens on 21 November. ∎

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis of "This I Fear Most" by Ng Yi-Sheng

When I first found this gem of a poem in "A Book of Hims", I knew it would be my favourite for a long time. The poem is so sweet, it's ridiculous. If Ed Sheeran's "Perfect" was a sonnet, this would be it. This I Fear Most Ng Yi-Sheng That I am not a light to guide you home, No shining beacon and no candle flame. That I am but a ragged burden thrown Against the bony shoulders of your frame, And every path you tread into the night I do encumber. That I do mistake That sunny grin for spirit and delight, Though it is worn to better bear the ache. This I fear most. So I command you: should You tire of me, strip me from your back And burn me like a hecatomb of wood. With raging heat, the heavens I’ll attack Until the dark dissolves away like foam. Then step ahead. My light shall guide you home. Analysis "This I Fear Most" by Ng Yi-Sheng is a Shakespearean sonnet about the selfless nature of love and the re

H2 Knowledge and Inquiry (KI): Should You Take It?

Choosing your A Level subject combination can be quite a nerve-racking experience, especially if you don't have any strong interest in particular subjects. The stakes are high too: it's the A Levels, the culmination of 12 years of formal education. No one wants to screw up and pick the wrong combination that will lead to 2 years of extra suffering. I faced the same problem after I graduated from the High School section. Physics, Math, Literature and KI was the combination of my dreams, but it wasn't a standard combination the College section offered. I made a compromise and chose the closest combination on the standard list: KI, Literature, Math and Economics (KILME). When I tell people I take KILME, they usually respond with confusion or shock. "Harh, simi combi is that?" "You take KI?!?!?!" These reactions are basically caused by the mystery that is KI. It's a phantom subject: one that has no textbook, no published notes,

Hume on Reason and the Passions — A Reply to Zizai

The Awkward Yeti on Facebook I thank  Cui Zizai  — my old friend, former classmate, collaborator and interlocutor — for this opportunity to revisit Hume. Zizai sent me an email (one of his periodic circulars on mathematics, politics and philosophy) regarding his take on Hume, in particular the infamous line “reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions” in Hume’s  A Treatise of Human Nature (“ Treatise ”). Sent 1:28 am, 26 December 2020 (UTC+08:00) Zizai has two concerns which I shall attempt to address: Is the bipartite claim “reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions” is–ought fallacious? Does Hume offer an argument for his “ought” claim? How can it be justified? Is the bipartite claim “reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions” is–ought fallacious? Let us refer to Hume’s introduction of the is–ought problem ( Treatise  3.1.1.27 ): I cannot forbear adding to these reasonings an observation, which may, perhaps, be found of some importance.